Search This Blog

Thursday, July 17, 2008

2 SF Troops Awarded Silver Stars

FORT LEWIS, Wash. - Two Soldiers at Fort Lewis were awarded the Silver Star on July 16 for combat actions in Diwaniyah, Iraq, last year.

The presentation ceremony was held at 1st Special Forces Group headquarters for Sgt. 1st Class Chad Kite of Elkton, Va., and Staff. Sgt. Chris Federmann of Cincinnati.

"While under intense enemy fire and without regard for their safety, (the two Green Berets) prevented anti-Iraqi forces from overwhelming friendly positions, protecting the lives of coalition and Iraqi Security Forces," a 1st Special Forces Group statement said.

A 1st Special Forces Group statement said Kite and Federmann earned theirs on June 3, 2007, as part of a primary team of 17 U.S., coalition and Iraqi soldiers whose mission was to capture a suspected terrorist leader in Diwaniyah. A second assault force of nearly 30 U.S. and coalition soldiers was staged to respond quickly.

Kite and Federmann "heroically distinguished themselves by exceptionally valorous conduct amidst the bravery exhibited by all the soldiers participating in this battle," the 1st Special Forces statement read.

"Using a hallmark trait of the Special Forces," the statement said, Kite, Federmann and the first team used a civilian car or truck to infiltrate the area to avoid detection and get close to their target.

When they moved in on the building to capture the suspected terrorist leader, however, they came under heavy fire.

Kite and Federmann suppressed it with gunfire and grenades, and the second force was called in. As it arrived, enemy fire became heavier, with increasing sniper fire and rocket-propelled grenades.

Unable to pick off the enemy snipers and grenade launchers on top of a building, Kite and Federmann worked their way toward the building under withering fire.

As the Green Berets fought their way closer, Kite covered Federmann, who launched high explosive rounds from his M-79 grenade launcher. Once within range, Federmann fired a smoke grenade onto the rooftop, marking it for a helicopter's machine guns to subdue the threat.

But it wasn't over. (READ MORE)

No comments: